Yesterday the list of nominees for the Emmys was announced. I was pleased with most of the nominations. As I have much more experience with drama series than comedy, I'll write a few of my predictions for everybody to read.
A small note on the comedy nominations first though. I am a bit disappointed to not see How I Met Your Mother nominated for Outstanding Comedy Series but shows like Glee and The Office somehow made it. It is nice to see Neil Patrick Harris nominated for Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Comedy Series for How I Met Your Mother, maybe he'll actually win since this is like the 4th time he's been nominated for it. As to why It's Always Sunny in Philadephia has never been nominated for Outstanding Comedy Series, I do not know.
Outstanding Drama Series
Breaking Bad
As much acclaim that Mad Men has received and with as many nominations it received this year, I think it's time to wave goodbye. Mad Men has won the past two years and while this season of Mad Men was quite fantastic, Breaking Bad has topped it with this stellar season.
The following video shows the closing minutes of this last season of Breaking Bad and shows what a truly breathtaking show it is.
Outstanding Directing in a Drama Series
The Getaway (Dexter)
Dexter's season finale while somewhat formulaic was executed perfectly and the surprise ending is one that will surely be a game changer for the rest of the series. The Getaway took me by storm and showed great writing, acting, and directing. While Breaking Bad's One Minute episode was great, it wasn't my personal favorite of the season. I've spoken my feelings about the ending to Lost before and don't believe it should win this award by any means. Mad Men's Guy Walks into an Advertising Agency was rather fantastic but I don't forsee it taking down Dexter.
Outstanding Lead Actor in a Drama Series
Bryan Cranston
Cranston has won the Best Actor emmy for the past two seasons and quite deservedly so. He continued that in this past season of Breaking Bad by showing that he is the current king of television when it comes to acting. Cranston in this past season of Breaking Bad showed that Oscar-like performances can be seen right on regular cable television. Over the course of Breaking Bad, Cranston has transformed his character from a simple good person to a cold blooded killer. The only other actor who has a chance at taking down Cranston is Michael C. Hall in Dexter.
Outstanding Lead Actress in a Drama Series
Glenn Close
Close has won the past two years, I haven't seen her in the show Damages but I figure if she's won two years in a row there's a good chance for a third.
My only other choice would be January Jones in Mad Men this past season who gave a rather terrific performance as the conflicted wife of Don Draper.
Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Drama Series
Aaron Paul
Aaron Paul pretty much solidified his win for this in this past season of Breaking Bad.The character of Jesse Pinkman got much more conflicted and came to the point of breaking bad. Paul was nominated last year and I think the fact that many of the other nominees have won in the past is going to help Paul get the win.
The two Losties, Terry O' Quinn and Michael Emerson didn't have a chance in this last season of Lost to show off their acting abilities too well. The only person that I think can give Aaron Paul a run for his money is John Slattery as Roger Sterling in Mad Men.
Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Drama Series
Elisabeth Moss
Previously nominated for Outstanding Actress in a Drama Series, I think it should come to no surprise that Elisabeth Moss will win for her performance as Peggy Olson in Mad Men. It seems that Mad Men is taking it easy by having Moss nominated for supporting instead of lead.
Outstanding Guest Actor in a Drama Series
John Lithgow
Lithgow gave one of the best performances I've ever seen on television this past year with his performance as The Trinity Killer in Dexter. His performance in this last season of Dexter breathed life into a show that was beginning to become a bit stale from it's less than stellar season 3.
Outstanding Writing for a Drama Series
Mad Men
As to why Breaking Bad was not nominated for Outstanding Writing for A Drama Series but Friday Night Lights was, I do not know. For a show that is as slow-paced as Mad Men is, the season finale showed that Mad Men can throw wildcards in and completely changed everything. Mad Men's season finale, Shut the Door. Have A Seat. took me by surprise in a way that I didn't expect at all. It wasn't cheap writing either as with most "surprise" episodes but instead cleverly written to have the viewer cheering on the characters in their heroic efforts.
The only other show I see taking a jab at Mad Men is Lost for it's episode The End. Which while was a fairly good episode, it was written mostly in mind for fans of the show and as as single entity doesn't hold as much ground.








No comments:
Post a Comment