My New Year's Ever was rather uneventful. It's hard to imagine this new decade is the most important time in my life. Nothing more is more important than the next 10 years for me.
College. A Career. And Everything Else.
Anyways today's review is Drew Barrymore's Whip It.
3/5
This movie has some very enjoyable points yet too many distracting things that offset the good of the movie.
Andrew Wilson in a movie gives me the feeling I get when I see a Baldwin brother who's not Alec. I just can't help but imagine Owen in this role but it feels like they just couldn't afford him and settled for Andrew because it's just as good apparently (it isn't). Jimmy Fallon is annoying in just about anything. It feels like the casting of Ellen Page and and Alia Shawkat was merely done for the fact that they're known for being trendy n their roles from Juno and Arrested Development (respectively). I had a few problems with the soundtrack as well. A house party playing Jens Lekman? I'm finding it hard to believe. I know its Austin but this crowd doesn't fit the music. I also hated hearing Your Arms Around Me during the pool scene. This Jens Lekman in this soundtrack is just not working for me. I think it's more so how much I've dived my life into his lyrics and seeing them in a situation that just doesn't work or make sense just truly bothers me as somebody who's such a big fan of him.
The story is still somewhat enjoyable but a lot of things in this movie are still incredibly cliche and with other sports movies this year rising above cliches, it's hard for me to enjoy this. At first I wasn't sure what to make of the romance subplot at first and I kept hoping that as I went on that it would get better but it just kept getting worse. Why does she like this guy? Why does she love him? Is it simply hormones? Is there anything besides physical attraction between her and Oliver? It just doesn't seem like their relationship was formed on anything from an intellectual basis. They liked some of the same music, I guess that's something. How their relationship ended up though I guess sort of explains everything. It felt like something that could have just as easily been omitted though.
Rollerball looks like a ton of fun though, I will say that. It's not a movie I think I'll ever willingly watch again though.
No comments:
Post a Comment