Friday, June 11, 2010

Glee, It's so cool. Yeah.

To quote one of my favorite television shows, Spaced

Mike: Wanna go back into your party?
Tim: But they were playing 'The Time Warp'! I hate 'The Time Warp'!
Mike: Daisy likes it.
Tim: I don't care! I hate it! It's boil-in-the-bag perversion for sexually repressed accountants and first-year drama students with too many posters of Betty Blue, The Blues Brothers, Big Blue and Blue Velvet on their blue bloody walls!



Simon Pegg as Tim Bisley in Spaced

Tim has pretty much nailed my feelings for the television show Glee through his hatred of the Time Warp. Glee has taken the nation by storm through sky high ratings and topping the billboard charts with its soundtrack. Guess what though? Glee sucks.


It's so sad seeing people geeking out over complete crap shows like this when there's much better shows out there that don't get nearly the viewership that Glee does. Shows like Breaking Bad take it to the next level as far as acting, writing, and directing goes. I know it's not fair to compare a comedy-musical show to a drama but I thought I'd show how high the bar can go. As far as similar shows, shows like It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia and How I Met Your Mother are well acted and written unlike Glee.

Glee is just so awful. To answer people, yes I've watched Glee. I've seen about 4 episodes now, the last one I watched was only because Neil Patrick Harris in it because he's awesome.

But high school is so much like this! Really? If you want a good high school show, rent Freaks and Geeks and then come back and tell me Glee is better. Honestly, there's no way you could. There's no talent when it comes to Glee. I'm sick of crappy cover songs from a bunch of rejects. There are few tv shows that can pull of an accurate representation of high school, Glee is not one of them. 

I think the main problem that I have with the show though has to be the writing. Glee is just written so poorly. Now I know that How I Met Your Mother has had its dips but those are few and far between. Overall though, there's meaning and representation of life in How I Met Your Mother. Glee though, oh my. 

Shows like Glee drive those annoying kids I hated in high school who thought they understood the workings of entertainment. Truth be told, they don't. Glee had potential but it's lost that. It's tried to be a million different things. If it were to focus on one single element it might actually work.

Glee sucks.

No comments: