Thursday, March 25, 2010

3D, An attack on your intelligence



Seriously Hollywood, please just stop. I recently heard that The Hangover 2 will be made in 3D, really? Is this necessary? 3D films are such an attack on a perfectly good dimension. I’m fine with watching the first Hangover in 2D and have no desire to watch The Hangover 2 in 3D. In fact I would prefer much prefer to watch it in 2D, these cheap Real 3D glasses totally suck. They’re uncomfortable and most of all my biggest problem with them is that it ruins the color palette. When Up was released last spring, I had no desire to see it in 3D and opted to find a 2D showing. This was a great decision though, watching this film under grayed glasses would have been an enormous mistake, the film is so colorful and beautiful and 3D would’ve simply ruined the beauty of it. With the success of Avatar, film companies are deciding to simply convert 2D films into 3D to cash in on the craze. Please save your $2.50 and see it in 2D.




Yeah, I saw Avatar in 3D and quite enjoyed it. Avatar was an exception to 3D films though, it was properly done to ensure that it wasn't overdone and was used properly to immerse the viewer into the film. Despite the good things that came from Avatar, I still have a lot of problems with 3D films.


3D films undermine the intelligence of movie viewers. It forces viewers to hone in on certain sections of the film or face certain headaches. It pretty much eliminates fine details in the background which is a real tragedy. With 3D, we wouldn’t have that shot of Charles Kane playing in the snow in Citizen Kane. With 3D, we wouldn’t have those shots of Sammy discreetly following Caden in Synecdoche, New York. 3D is simply an attack on your intelligence and merely a ploy to gouge ticket prices.

I recently saw not one but two individuals on campus who were wearing Real 3D glasses without the lenses. I then posted a Facebook status “ Anyone who thinks wearing wearing Real 3D glasses without the lenses is the latest fashion trend is a fool of a took.” To which I got a response of “oh ya, and what do you know about fashion?” I deleted that comment though because to be honestly I really didn’t feel like dealing with it since it was bound to go nowhere. I don’t claim to be a fashion expert but I can spot full retard when I see it, and you never go full retard. Wearing these glasses is merely encouraging the advancement of undermining your intelligence.

Do yourself a favor and see movies in a perfectly good dimension, 2D.

No comments: