Monday, May 24, 2010

The End- Lost Series Finale

Rating: 4.5/5


I typically don't review TV series but I suppose I will share my thoughts on the Lost series finale. I started watching Lost during my sophomore year of high school. One spring break I decided to see what all the hoopla was about this show. Well, I didn't sleep for the first time I watched Lost. I ran through through the first 1.5 seasons of Lost in pretty much one sitting. Needless to say, I was addicted. It's continued with me though, Lost has stayed put. It helped me survive to put it in simple words. Week in and week out, Lost gave me something to look forward to. It was what helped me go on with everything surrounding my life. It's a sad thing seeing Lost leave but at the same time, it's a pleasant treat.

I've been one to criticize others for their misunderstanding of Lost but still loving it. The truth is though, that the mythology surrounding Lost was just so secondary compared to the characters. The real heart and sole of the show resides in the relationships and the developing characters throughout the series. "The End" showed us just this, it didn't try to tie up loose ends surrounding a lot of the mythology at all but instead on tying up the loose ends of the characters. In life, this is what really matters to us though. Everything else is so secondary to the relationships we have with others. The people surrounding us control our fate. I was driving home the other day and thinking of how if it weren't for one single person, the last two years of my life would be completely different. I'm glad for this though, It's made me a stronger person. It is truly amazing thinking how much one person can make a difference forever in somebody's life.

To be up front, many of the moments of "The End" had me in tears, I'm not sure why completely. Part of me is knowing the loss of looking forward to episodes of Lost but another is the conclusion to these characters. The thing about the episode is that there are so many factors into how it works. The episode itself seems like a tribute to fans of the series, which is something I enjoyed but at the same time didn't. The part I loved about so many of the other season finales was how they worked so well individually as a single narrative. Episodes like "Live Together, Die Alone" were nearly perfect and could be watched singularly apart from the show. "The End" was most definitely an entertaining episode, but unfortunately entertaining doesn't always mean perfect. Yes, the finale was great but at the same time it had it's flaws.

The ending of the Sideways story, I can't say it was perfect. There were some flaws to it. It worked but it definitely could have been better. Also, is anyone else a bit conflicted with Sayid? Him getting together with Shannon at the end, it left me a little uneasy to be honest. Especially since so much of post season 1 for him was focused on how he loved Nadia. It just felt a bit awkward and somewhat forced. The reason it being forced was of course to please fans, which apparently doesn't work on me. Granted, I will give it credit for some parts. The moment between Sun and Jin was quite pleasant, I've always loved their story arc though.

As for the end on the Island though, flawless. Seeing Jack close his eyes seeing the plane go by, it was just perfect. The problem I have mostly with the ending is that it focuses too much on the Sideways storyline. I would have much preferred the closing shot of the series be of Jack closing his eyes to the plane flying by. All in all though, it was a nice ending to a rather great series.

On one last note, Desmond Hume is awesome. By far my favorite character in the whole series. It was really nice to see him play such a pivotal role in this season.

2 comments:

jesse said...

What about Jack's Sparta punch? Legendary commercial break cut.

Snash said...

Haha especially when they came back from commercial and you see him running again and doesn't do the punch.