Friday, May 14, 2010

My Hatred for The Blind Side

Well I've been constantly asked why I hate The Blind Side. I shall dedicate this blog post to my hatred of The Blind Side.






1. Sandra Bullock winning the Best Actress Academy Award was a big mistake.

The following was a note I wrote on facebook concerning this matter.

"Over the past few weeks Sandra Bullock has managed to secure nearly every award for Best Actress and unless by some divine nature, she will win an Academy Award for Best Actress. This woman is simply robbing others that are more deserving. Now to anyone who likes to argue with me, what is your opinion formed on? Have you seen all the most likely nominees? Because I've seen The Blind Side, An Education, Precious, and Julie & Julia. I don't even think that Sandra Bullock deserves a nomination. I think she's robbing Melanie Laurent of Inglourious Basterds of a spot and from what I understand Marion Coutillard is amazing in Nine.

Anyone who has seen Julie & Julia, Precious, or An Education I think will understand where I’m coming from. Meryl Streep gives a spot on impression of a magnificent woman called Julia Child. Her role I feel is much more inspiring than that of anything I saw in the atrocity that is The Blind Side. The role is simply a lot more dynamic than that of Leigh Anne Tuohy. Even Gabourey Sidibe in Precious is more deserving of the Best Actress award. I’ll say this too, that’s a much more inspirational story about a person rising against the odds than The Blind Side.The real killer here though is that the young actress of 22-years, Carey Mulligan, will not be walking up on stage in March to accept the Best Actress award. Unfortunately my fellow Americans for the most part have not seen the lovely Carey Mulligan in An Education. An Education tells the tale of a young 17-year-old girl who falls in love with an older man and how her life changes because of it. This movie makes you laugh, smile, and cry. It invokes real emotions and it’s simply one of the best British films ever made and one of the best Romance movies ever made. "



Carey Mulligan in An Education, one of the best films of 2009

"There’s a reason that The Dark Knight was not nominated for Best Picture, popularity doesn’t mean something is great. Transformers 2 was the 2nd highest grossing film in the United States this year. While Sandra Bullock’s performance was good, it’s not up to the prestige that the Oscars are. I felt her role wasn't dynamic by any means. She plays an overpowering woman with a southern accent. That's all there is to Bullock's performance.

I know I'm no actor, but I've seen enough films to know what separates good from great acting. I know my reasoning in this article isn't the greatest, but please see these other films and then come back to me.

Screw The Blind Side, it's quality is equivalent to a Lifetime movie."



2. Racism

Am I seriously the only person to notice this? The Blind Side is totally racist!!! Almost all the African Americans are portrayed in a completely stereotyped profile. Don't give me this crap, oh that's how it was in his life. People have individual personalities. 

Even basic people, like the girl Michael encounters in the laundrymat are portrayed in a negative manner.

Oh and of course the rich white woman comes to save him!!!

3. Bad Screenplay

"I'm a member of the NRA, and I'm always packing"

Really? Like honestly? Hahaha, it's funny. I guess it is if you're a complete moron. I don't honestly think any drug dealer would take anyone with Sandra Bullock's appearance seriously after saying that.

BUT OH IT'S A TRUE STORY! Yeah well, guess what. Hollywood changes thing. 

Also, how am I supposed to believe every major football coach from across the country arrived at exactly the same time? Give me a break.

The film is also such a cliche sports film. Yes, I know it's based off a true story. That doesn't mean it couldn't have been presented in a better way. Sports films like Invictus and The Damned United, broke free from this tradition and were fantastic because of it. Also, guess what? Both of those movies were based off true stories too.

Is it a bad movie? Well yeah, I guess it's not that bad. Guess what though, if you think this movie is good. You really need to watch more movies. This movie isn't bad, just overrated. It is nothing special.

4. Acting

Tim McGraw is an awful actor.


I honestly don't feel like I have to explain why he's a bad actor.

5.  Best Picture Nomination

The Blind Side being nominated for Best Picture is like somebody stepping on the grave of Stanley Kubrick and Alfred Hitchcock. Both of whose greatest films were not nominated for Best Picture (2001: A Space Odyssey, Vertigo).

Not only was it a slam to the greats of that. It also has showed how the Academy will do whatever they want to simply get more viewers. MONEY!!!

For those who don't know movies, 2009 was stacked for films and there were just so many good movies that didn't get nominated that should've instead of the crap movie that is The Blind Side.




Crazy Heart



The Damned United



Moon



Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans



The Messenger



Invictus



A Single Man

No comments: