Rating: 3/5
Meryl Streep as Julia Child
The Julie Powell portions of this film are much less enjoyable than the Julia Child portions. Julie Powell is a a girl who lives in a small apartment above a pizza parlor in New York City with her husband. In her days, she works at an insurance agency in a cubicle but by night she's tries working her way through Julia Child's "Mastering the Art of French Cooking". Julie Powell decided to work her way through the book and write a daily blog about her events with a goal of completing it within one year.
I kept getting the wrong impressions for the reason she's trying to complete her way through Julia Child's book in one year though. It didn't feel as though Julie working her way through Julia Child's book for her love of cooking, in fact I don't even get the impression that she likes cooking at all. Cooking is fun and I don't feel like Julie Powell enjoys it by any means. I get the impression she enjoys the food but I feel like she doesn't see the joy that is incooking. She does it for the writing but I don't even get the impression that she enjoys writing either. She does it because others have looked down on her over the years for not being accomplished. It's sad that people evaluate their lives simply on success.
To quote Julie's husband Eric Powell,"It feels like s***"
As for the Julia Child portions of the film though, they're much more enjoyable. In fact, I would much prefer a film simply on Julia Child. Meryl Streep gives a spot on impression of Julia Child and Stanley Tucci does a good job as well. Meryl Streep will most likely be nominated for an Academy Award for this movie and stands a good chance at winning. Tucci's character is somewhat drab but most probably due to time constraints from the Julie Powell portions. Julia Child's story is much more inspiring and a lot more interesting. Child is a talented chef and cooks out of her love for cuisine. She doesn't cook because she thinks it will make her a successful accomplished person but because she loves cooking and it's something she's good at.
Another note on Meryl Streep though. I'd much rather have her win over other front runner Sandra Bullock for The Blind Side. I personally believe that Carey Mulligan should win for An Education though.
If I were to rate the Julia Child portions of the film I'd give it a 4/5 but I'd give the Julie Powell portions a 2/5

No comments:
Post a Comment