Rating: 5/5
Michael Stuhlbarg in A Serious Man
A thought provoking film that has an interesting take on religion. The story is a twist of sorts of the biblical story of Job. In the story of Job, he is given punishments for not really doing anything wrong and remains faithful to God. In A Serious Man, Larry Gopnik is is free to choose his own consequences and through his choices is punished, I'll leave how his faith ends up a mystery for those who have not seen it.
Some may come off from watching this as the Coen brothers slamming religion but to me it came off as a slam on humanity. Others may see it differently but it's just how I perceived it.
Great film though and quite thought provoking as well. Probably my favorite screenplay of 2009 as well. Acting is great as well, it was interesting that the Coen brothers opted for mostly actors from theater instead of film. Some may be upset with the ending because to some it may come off abrupt but to me I felt it was proper.
Great movie, check it out.

No comments:
Post a Comment